Things are moving fast at work. My program got approval to scale. I'm set to hire 22 people before the half closes, convert a couple contractors to FTE, possibly even start managing other Project Managers by June. My manager is saying I'm on track to be promoted by August.
GOODNESS! Things certainly are different, aren't they? For what reason? The universe? My choices? My perspective? My fate? Who's running this ship?
We talk about travel almost every day. It's on the forefront of our minds all the time. It's in Tyler's exasperation at the end of another repetitive day. He sighs out his longing for it as he falls onto the couch.
For me, it's working the opposite. Knowing there's a deadline in a year is motivating me to make what few days I have left count. I didn't make anything of myself in five years at Google. In under 5 months I feel powerful at Facebook. It's the change I needed. I'd much rather leave strong than leave defeated. Facebook was the best decision I ever made for my career, and I'm finally where I've always dreamed of being mentally. Happy, fulfilled, challenged, excited, content - yet still desiring and motivated to accomplish so much more.
Our two main topics have been finances and route:
- Finances: Are we saving enough per month? Where are our stocks at? How much will it cost to travel for a year? Where can we save, where can we splurge? What happens if we can't rent the house? Do we need a manager for it? etc etc etc
- Route: How do you travel for a year and follow great weather, but don't follow such great weather that you also follow the crowds/higher rate? Bad weather doesn't mean what bad weather means in California. Off season means monsoons, floods, winter (in the Southern hemisphere). It's possible, definitely, but with some discomfort. Are we searching for endless summer? It'll cost us.
We reversed our course after investigating weather patterns some more. We are now leaving April 1, 2017 so we can get my bonus from Facebook (hence the dual numbers in the title of this post). This is where our heads are at now, in somewhat order:
- Europe: Portugal, Spain, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Italy, Croatia, Greece, Turkey
- Asia: China, South Korea, Japan, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand
- South East Asia: Philippines, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand
- South America: Argentina, Chile, Peru, Columbia